Add Patient Balance from Another Billing System
If a patient has a balance in your old billing system, you may need to move that balance into Insight Billing. Use the instructions below to add a balance forward code to the system and use that code to move the patient balance from your old system to Insight Billing.
Note: You can only move balances that will be billed out to the patient (not insurance).
Create a Balance Forward Code and Add it to the Fee Schedule(s)
Create the Balance Forward Code
- Log in to either Insight Billing or Insight EMR.
- From the Billing menu, select Rules and Charge Codes.
The Edit Billing Rules and Charge dialog displays.
- Select the Charge Codes tab.
- Click Add to add a new row at the bottom of the Charge Codes table.
- Enter a new character alphanumeric code (up to 5 characters). For example, if you are creating a balance forward code, enter BLFWD for the code and Balance Forward for the description.)
Add the BLWFD Fee to the Applicable Schedule (s) Your Clinic May Use
- From the Billing menu, select Fee Schedules.
The Fee Schedule Editor dialog displays.
- Click Add to add a line at the bottom of the list of charge codes.
- Enter all the information for the charge code:
- In the Charge Code column, enter BLFWD.
- In the Charge Amount column, enter 0.00.
- In the Is Variable column, select the check box.
- Click Save and then Close.
Add the Balance Forward Code to Supplies and Fees
- From the Billing menu, select Supplies and Fees.
- From the Supplies and Fees dialog, click Add.
- Complete information for the columns below.
- In the Category column, choose a category or enter a new one.
- Enter a description.
- Click the Charge Code column and begin typing the balance forward code (BLFWD). The system automatically displays the list of valid charge code options as you type.
- Select the Variable? check box.
The system enters a default $0.00 value for the Amount column. Leave this alone since every balance forward charge will be different.
- Click OK.
Note: Once you have created a the balance forward charge code each time you need to move a patient balance over from Insight, you will only need to perform the steps below. You do not need to add a new balance forward charge code each time you move a patient balance.
Move the Patient Balance to Insight
You must confirm that the patient from your legacy billing system has been added to Clinicient and a case has been added, before you can complete this final step.
- From the Actions menu, select Open Cash Register or click . The Collect Payment dialog displays.
- Use the Name field drop down arrow to locate the patient.
- In the Fees and Supplies area, click Add.
- Select the balance forward fee you added from the previous section from the Description list.
- Enter the amount you are transferring to Insight in the Amount column.
- In the Payment Type field, select No Payment.
- Click Save & Close.
- Optional: Repeat steps 1 through 7 if you need to move another patient balance to Insight.