Run a Period Close
This option is only available from INSIGHT Billing and is based on permission. Total INSIGHT clients do not need to run the period close report as the Clinicient billing staff will perform this function for you.
Use the following steps to run a Period Close report, and cross check it with your AR report:
Run AR History by Payer Report
- First, navigate to the Reports F8 tab and select the AR History by Payer Financial report under the AR section.
- Set the Effective Date as the last day of the month you are closing.
- Set the Transaction Date as the last day you posted a transaction for the month you are closing.
Tip: Typically you will want to set both the Effective Date and Transaction Date as the last day of the month for which you are running Period Close.
- Select Run Report.
- Note the Total Due amount shown in the report.
Run Period Close
Choose Period Close from the Run menu.
- Set the Close Date as the last day of the month you are closing. This will be the same as the Effective Date used for the AR report above. In this example, it is June 30th.
- Set the Include Post Date Thru field to the last day you posted a transaction for the month you are closing. This will be the same as the Transaction Date used for the AR report above. In this example, it is also set to June 30th.
- The Report Name field is automatically populated, based on the close date selected. If this name is not what you are expecting, review the Close Date field and adjust it as needed.
- Select Run.
- Preview or Print the close by selecting Preview or Print.
- Check the Ending Balance field and compare it to the Total Due amount in the AR report to verify the numbers match. If the balances match, you are ready to close the period.
- If the balances do not match, review Troubleshoot AR History Report and Period Close.
- Select Close This Period.
- At the Information prompt, select Yes to print the Period Close Report. If you select no and decide you need to print the report later, you can go to the Run menu, select Period Close, then use the drop down arrow to select the report you would like to print.
Note: While you can change the name of a Period Close, Clinicient recommends sticking with the pre-defined Month Year naming convention.